The majority of our clients focus on marketing to high-net-worth individuals and families. Over the years, we have started to see a trend in some of our clients beginning to focus more on marketing to millennials. There are a few reasons we believe this trend is taking place that are interesting to consider. You might have a reason to delve into this market, too. These factors are:
• Technology makes it possible to offer services to smaller accounts
• Not-yet-rich, though high-earning, millennials have the potential as future ideal clients
• The older generations are aging, so millennials provide a way for the company to protect its assets
Attracting a new demographic always means changing how you communicate. Younger clients, as a general rule, are not going to be attracted to longer pieces of content, graphs and charts such as the older generation.
Here are some suggestions that will help you change your message to appeal to those under 40:
1. Be genuine: You may have to change your company culture to attract millennials. Sales pitches simply don’t work as well as lifting the veil and letting them see inside who you really are and what you stand for.
2. Educate: Since sales pitches are not as popular, focus on educating and doing so in an effective way. Creating e-books, podcasts and videos are more likely to get you noticed over traditional materials like brochures and sales sheets.
3. Keep it short: Millennials are always on the go, and they are used to technology and a world that moves at a faster pace than the generations before them. Shorter attention spans mean you have less time to effectively get your message across. Don’t use paragraphs to explain what you can with a few sentences.
4. Make use of technology: Technology is a powerful tool to keep your audience interested in what you have to say. Use a variety of tools such as webinars, podcasts, infographics and videos whenever possible.
5. Visuals are a must: Use images, interactive graphics and videos to make your message interesting and prove your point over just using back-to-back paragraphs of text.
If you need help coming up ways to connect with millennials, reach out. Our team would love to help you come up with some creative ways for you to impact this market.